Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Catcott

flock of 30+ stonechats which were sporting lovely colours today. Along with 2 yellow hammers. Not much else at the moment though.

Re: Catcott

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are you sure about the stonechats and yellowhammers? Stonechats are usually in singles or pairs, and 30 is an awful lot... And yellowhammers are fairly scarce on the levels... If you are happy with the I.d. please send the details to the SOS for the annual report - thanks!

Stephen,
The yellow hammers I'm sure about.
I saw a nice looking stonechat through my scope perched on a fence post, which then flew off and met the flock of what I assumed to be other stonechats as they were all behaving and flying in the same way. They would fly up from the long grass, flutter around and then land on the ground again. On this visit, there was a pinned up piece of paper saying 8 whinchats were around the day before this?
The week before this, I was at shapwick where I watched a stonechat for about 5 minutes, so was sure that this flock of around 30 birds were the same. But, you have now made me think otherwise.
Best regards,
Lee

Although I have never seen Yellowhammers at Catcott, I have seen them on Kent Drove near the Hawk and Owl Trust land so that is less than a mile from Catcott Lows. The other birds seen were much more likely to be Meadow Pipits as there have been good numbers there recently.

Understood thank you. (Still lots to learn) Although I definitely saw at least 1 stonechat.
On another note, I gave Hamwall a miss this weekend, and visited Aust Wharf and areas. Thouorulghy enjoyed my weekend and recommend it if not too far for anyone. I'm Frome so about the same distance. SEO, female Merlin, Wheatears, Dunlins, Redshanks, rock pipits, Ravens, Curlew to name a few. Bit blowy though.