11 Whinchats and 4 Stonechats this evening, Coxbridge end.
I think that these are my first Somerset Stonechats this year?
John, I really can’t believe that? I have been out on Kennard 3 times in the last 2 to 3 weeks. I have walked all the droves and fields and seen absolutely nothing, not one Stonechat and certainly not any Whinchats or Wheatears! However, I’m pleased they’ve finally turned up, as they always do in September! I’ll be out there again shortly to see them. Thanks!
Exactly the same place as last September. Look for the Sheep on the RHS of the drove before the lane reaches the sharp corners. Kennard must now have 2000 fence posts (slight licence to exaggerate)!!!
No sign of any chats, searching from the roadside, early afternoon.
I could only find one of pair of Stonechats at the Coxbridge end this morning though a Kingfisher on one of the posts was a nice surprise! At the Glastonbury end, I found 4 Whinchats and 2 Wheatears on posts. Perhaps they’re having a tour!
• 2 Snipe
• 3 Stock Dove
• 2 Kestrels, 2 Buzzards* and a female Sparrow Hawk.
• Several Meadow Pipit & Linnet, plus a flock of 50 Goldfinch.
• 100’s of Swallows flying about and one Sand Martin with them.
• A couple of Chiffchaff singing as if it were spring!
• A single Roe Deer and a Grey Squirrel.
• Both Buzzards were pale phase and one had a Kite’s white head, just like Jeff’s photo on his website – quite a stunning bird really.