Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glossy Ibis

One from 2nd viewing platform Ham Wall at 13:30

Re: Glossy Ibis

Apparently, and unbeknown to anyone at the time, the Glossy Ibis was first seen briefly on Meare Heath scrape at about 12.20. It presumably then relocated to Ham Wall where Simon found it and spread the news (many thanks to Simon).

It seems to have spent most of the afternoon off the 2nd viewing platform, with occasional brief absences and was still there till after 1800. At 1855, however, it was back on Meare Heath scrape and was still there feeding away at 1945 as I walked back from Noah's having seen the Osprey.

The back-up cast at 2VP on Ham Wall side was impressive, though not all on view at the same time: Curlew Sandpiper (also originally found on Meare Heath this afternoon,and also back there this evening), the Pectoral Sandpiper still, up to 7 Ruff, 4+ Green Sandpipers, 2 Greenshanks, 3 Garganey, 3 Yellow Wagtails, 2 Great White Egrets, 7 Wigeon, a juv/1st-winter Med Gull, and a family party of Ravens.

I cannot claim credit for finding it, I was one of a small group watching from the path where someone who had seen it at Mere came along and asked if it had settled. Upon looking it was spotted and I guess I was the first to a computer to report it. Julian, was the Woody there when you were?

I watched it from about 12:00 till 13:00 on Meare Scape when it flew off towards Ham Wall. Then came to 2vp. Dipped on the Pec Sandpiper though.

One Glossy Ibis and a Curlew Sandpiper on Meare Heath scrape this morning along with an assortment of more common species.

26-Aug-13
Glossy Ibis and Curlew Sandpiper still present on Meare Heath pool up to at least 13:30 when we left. Also a brief visit by the Osprey, which circled over the wood before returning to Noah’s Lake.

Record shots of the GI and the CS on my website, should you be interested.

Glossy Ibis still on Meare Heath scrape this morning (per Alan Ashman). The Curlew Sand was there earlier but had disappeared by midday - may of course return, or have gone to Ham wall as it did a couple of days ago.

Ruff and Common Sand also among the waders on Meare Heath.

I can add Ringed Plover, Snipe and Bearded Tit to the list between 0815 and 0900 this morning.

Curlew Sandpiper still present yesterday evening (27th) but Glossy Ibis flew off at about 6.30pm - may of course return. Also 8 Ruff, 1 Greenshank, many Snipe, 2 Green Sandpiper, many Black Tailed Godwits, Little Egret, Grey Heron & several Gadwall, Teal and Mallard. No sign of Ringed Plover or Common Sandpipers. 2 Wood Sandpipers, 2 Green Sandpipers & 2 Ruff present at 2VP Ham Wall from 7.00pm - 7.30pm.

The Glossy Ibis was not at Meare or Ham Wall this morning up until 1430hrs when I left. As well as the usual suspects there was a Curlew Sandpiper at Meare Lagoon and a couple of Spotted Redshanks at VP 2 Ham Wall.

29-Aug-13
Glosy Ibis reported on Birdguides this morning at 10:53 on Durleigh Reservoir.

failed to locate Ibis at 12.10, fishing competition on at present

01-Sep-13
No sign of yesterday evening's Glossy Ibis at Meare Heath this mid-morning, but Birdguides shows it (or another?) still present at Durleigh Reservoir this morning and afternoon.

I have heard that our Glossy friend had been spotted once more at Shapwick.
Has anyone seen it lately?

See the Meare Heath lagoon thread. Ibis still there.

Ibis there 1500 today. Distant pic on Twitter here.

Our Glossy visitor is still on the Meare Scrape although keeping its distance.
Photo here