Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pectoral Sandpiper - Ham Wall

21-Aug-2013
Birdguides is carrying reports of a Pectoral Sandpiper from the 2VP at Ham Wall today; seen at 16:00 and still present at 19:25 hrs. Also a Wood Sandpiper.

Re: Pectoral Sandpiper - Ham Wall

The Pectoral sandpiper was hard to spot amidst the vegetation, but once seen quite easy to keep track of. Green sands, snipe, lapwings, greenshank, ruff, garganey, wigeon, GWE and yellow wag also at 2VP yesterday pm. Couldn't find the reported wood sand though.

22-Aug-13
Pectoral Sandpiper still present this morning but difficult to see. First located at 08:40 looking diagonally left from the 2VP, then lost from view as it worked right. Relocated at about 09:05 straight out from the 2VP, still slowly working its way slowly to the right until lost behind vegetation. Not seen again up to 11:00 when I left there, but neither were the 2 Dunlin that flew into the RH corner. Also present 11 Black-t Godwits, 3 Greenshank (these also often disappeared to the right), 5 Green Sandpipers, 1 Wood Sandpiper, 1 Ruff, 2 Garganey and 2 Grt W Egrets.

23-Aug-13
Pec Sand still present at mid-day directly out from the 2VP at the back of the marshy area, looking towards the distant red house. It was being watched by those on the platform as a walked passed doing my b'fly & dragon count.

This p.m. the Pec Sand eluded me again for the second day. The Woodsand,Common Sand, Ruff, Dunlin were present but just one of each; as were 4 Greenshanks, at least 6 Greenands, a couple of dozen Snipe and plenty of Lapwing and a few Blk Tld. G'Wits,5 Ringed Plover flew over calling but did not land. Plus 2 G. W. Egrets and 2 passing Marsh Harriers.
Anyone left a coat on the second VP at Ham Wall? contact me (or) it will be in the RSPB Office at the Avalon Marshes Centre but not until Tues. next

Sat 0600 to 0800 Pec sand present elusive at times eventually showed well on mud to left of VP
Also 2 Dunlin 3 greensand 1LRP 1ruff 1 woodsand 1 yellow wagtail
1 Greenshank. Black tail godwit 3 Gt white egret

Additions to Alan's list early afternoon:
1 Greenshank, 1 Ringed Plover, 9 Green Sand showed all at once, 6 or 7 Ruff total, minimum 6 probably 8 Garganey. The Pec showed nicely associating with some of the Ruff.

Andy.

Pec Sand still present today at 2VP at Ham Wall - showed fairly well this evening on bare mud about two-thirds of the way back and to the left of the platform.

For more details of the good selection of birds there today, see the Glossy Ibis thread.