Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
spotted flycatcher

I have recently found a spotted flycatchers nest near my home,which now has four nearly fledged chicks. This is doubly pleasing as in the past 25 years I have only seen them in the area twice on autumn migration. I was half expecting them to be predated as the nest is in a depression of an exposed root on an old oak tree. It is right on the edge of a very narrow lane at about 4ft high. As you walk past you can look right into the nest without breaking step. The hen bird must have been aware of her precarious position as she never sat as I walked past, preferring to fly off when I got within about 20 yards.

Re: spotted flycatcher

Hi Paddy,

They've bred for certain at Pill Mill this year,as I had to help out a young bird that became entangled on the top floor.Last year was the first year they were present at the mill in the 15 years I've worked here.So double good news.

Nesting pairs in Blackford near church and South Cheriton (near Wincanton). One of my favourite birds and always nice to hear the noisy chicks calling.

One seen today hawking insects from the branches of an ash tree on the bank of Allens Brook, Bathpool.

Best Wishes,
Bill.

Although outside this forums coverage(NW Bath) I found 3 breeding pairs instead of the usual 1 this season- good sign for a bird whose numbers have
dropped through the floor.

Seem to be breeding around halfway between the main car park and the reserve entrance at Collard Hill south of Street...

Single Spotted Flycatcher near the Church in Pitney near Langport this afternoon plus an adult and 2 juvenile Green Woodpeckers.

For the first time I can recall,since moving here eleven years ago, no spotted flycatchers seen in Westbury Sub Mendip this summer. Previously a regular breeder.

One took up residence on a neighbours' chimney last night, using it as a perch to catch insects
As it flew over my garden it goes on the list, and it is the first one I have seen in sharp wick village in the 7 years I have lived here
Family was suitably unimpressed