Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Redstart behaviour?

I watched a bird yesterday about 10.15am flying/sallying about over the stream that runs along side the Cheddar football pitches towards the reservoir. It was presumably catching the numerous insects that were there. It would barely land on piece of sticking out reed before up again and sometimes went into the bushes before reappearing. It was brown with a fanned out tail. I couldn't see a red tail but am wondering if I was watching a female redstart. Please can anyone advise me as to whether it could have been a redstart? Thanks

Re: Redstart behaviour?

Rather unlikely to have been a Redstart, wrong habitat. How big was it ? It might have been virtually any of the commoner warbler species, the tail fanning is a clue, it could have been a Spotted Flycatcher, they often fan their tails when insecting and flick the tail when perched and watching, (although its not exactly typical SFC habitat either).

Thanks for your reply. I would say it was similar to a robin in size but possibly a bit bigger. The tail did fan out quite wide and it was quick moving. Didn't notice any bobbing when it sat on the thin reeds overhanging the stream but then it barely sat before going again. I will have to go again to get a better look I think! Cheers.

Redstarts can turn up almost anywhere when on passage and in a strange year like this, there might still be such birds around. They are spring breeders near black rock which is not far from Cheddar