Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Great Spotted Woodpeckers & Bits and Pieces

I sat quietly with the Children this afternoon and watched GSW feeding very noisy youngsters still within a tree at Edford Wood. I cannot ever recall having watched this species for so long and at such close range.

After the last couple of hard winters I have had concerns over the local Bullfinch population. It seems certain that numbers have fallen however they were still being found at many places today near to Coleford. Yellowhammer numbers appear to be holding up well across the local area.

Near the back of our house a pair of Whitethroats appear to be nesting. It seems to be a reasonably good year for them here. Linnets are still singing very strongly. One day I will find a Winchat near the house!

What I believe to be May Flies were emerging from the Mells Stream this afternoon.

One evening last week I did a dusk drive near the Ammerdown Estate and saw no less than 4 Tawny Owls, 2 briefly and 2 others perched and showing well, from the comfort of the Car.

A Great Black-Backed Gull in the centre circle of Stoke Rovers football pitch at 6am one morning last week was another surprise. The second GBBG that I have seen locally in the past few weeks.