Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
lack of Swallows?

i am currently working at Stoughton [nr Wedmore,] where the house owners are used to up to 5 live nests per year of Swallows and have for over 10 years , but as of yet this year they have none!! probably too late for any now,not sure but they are rather dissapointed

Re: lack of Swallows?

Plenty of swallows over the fields just to the west of Creech St. Michael this evening when I took a stroll along the towpath and I even had a fox wandering along the path about a hundred yards in front of me !

Best Wishes,
Bill.

Hi Neville.

Solved your problem - just got back from the Island of Kefalonia off the west coast of Greece. That's where they all are. Wherever you looked there was a swallow. Thousands of them. Like ants!!!!!

4 recently fledged Swallows being fed in a field near the Avalon Marshes Centre this morning.

Ady Gough
Hi Neville.

Solved your problem - just got back from the Island of Kefalonia off the west coast of Greece. That's where they all are. Wherever you looked there was a swallow. Thousands of them. Like ants!!!!!

.....sounds good, but doesn't cure the lack of em' in Stoughton!!! where co-incedentally i have been working today [same place]

Sadly, very few here at Norton Sub Hamdon. Real lack of Swifts also and really miss their screams. Very sad.

Sue