Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Large number of buzzards

A knock on my door from a neighbour early this afternoon urging me to 'take a look up there' resulted in the largest flock of buzzards I've seen in this country - 42 circling and moving NE over Chard followed by smaller groups over the next few hours totalling 68 birds altogether. Nothing more interesting with them but quite a sight all the same.

Re: Large number of buzzards

on 1 may there were more than fifty buzzards in a field on creech hill nr bruton i have only once seen so many in a group as large as this before ,very odd for this time of year when you would think they had paired up!

90+ buzzards and two red kites on and flying above ploughfield at milton clevedon this afternoon!

This afternoon up to 30 buzzards massed over Herne Hill near Ilminster. It was a great sight watching them all circling in the lovely blue sky. Clearly these are going to be non-breeding birds for this year. Of particular interest to the buzzards were the fields of newly cut grass but they didn't appear to be making much of an effort to hunt.

82 buzzards in one field of emerging maize near Cranmore this afternoon.

42 buzzards in the Cranmore field this afternoon. At the same time less than a mile away a further 67+ were following the plough on another field.