Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cheddar Res

Female Scaup back this morning, near the Axbridge tower. Singles of White Wagtail, Sand Martin and Stonechat. Still no Little Gull for me, but 2 Greater Black-back Gull.

Re: Cheddar Res

Early Saturday evening the little gull was feeding near the Axbridge Tower.
Sorry, but haven't been able to post until now!

Finally caught up with the Little Gull this evening. It roosted with Black Headed Gulls towards the South Western 'corner' of the Res. Also substantial numbers of big gulls with 1220 Lesser Black Back and c1000 Herring in a compact flock in the middle of the res.
Water Rail still in the ditch next to the playing field, female Scaup with the Tufted, 6 Swallow, 2 Sand Martin and the first migrant wader-in the form of a Redshank.

Little gull on SW side midday

Little Gull again in south west part of reservoir mid-day today.

Just had a call from Jeff Hazell to say there are now 3 adult Little Gulls at Cheddar, 2 of them in summer plumage. Nice!

11-April-13
The 3 adult Little Gulls were present from about 13:45 to at least 14:15 hrs, when a sudden squall drove us off the res. They were feeding back-and-forth over the water not far from the Axbridge Tower.

A photo of the one still in winter plumage is on my website below. The other two, with smart looking black heads, were not as obliging!

All 3 Little Gulls still present moving across the water and back towards the Axbridge Tower end at 5.30p. Plus my first Swallow of the summer. I was similarly driven off by a squall!

Little Gulls still present at dusk and roosted on the res. Lesser Black Back numbers up to 1350 this evening. An impressive flock in the middle. Also a Common Tern dropped in very late, a single female Goosander, 3 Swallow and the Little Owl put in an appearance.

I also saw 2 Common Sandpipers along the West side of the res this evening on a return visit.

Early visit this am yielded 2 groups of Common Sandpipers - of 4 and 5 birds (remote possibility they could have been the same birds but unlikely due to locations). One group had a Dunlin in tow. In addition there was a solitary Redshank, a Green Woodpecker and a Female Sparrowhawk. Both Swallows and Sand Martins hunting over the water but couldn't spy the Little Gulls although probably because it was pouring hard for 50% of the circuit!

Lots of interest this morning. Waders additional to Chris's tally were a Little Ringed Plover, 2 Green Sand in the ditch to the SW of the res, and a Curlew that was flying with a second wader, probably a Whimbrel. Also the winter plumage Little Gull, a Kingfisher and at least 3 Willow Warblers. Hirundine numbers built up quickly around 10a.m.with c70 Sand Martin, 3 House Martin and c20 Swallow.

12-April-13
This afternoon, between 14:00 & 15:30 hrs: 2 Little Gulls (the winter adult and a juvenile), at least 4 Common Sandpipers (4+1), 1 Dunlin, 1 Redshank, female Scaup, and at least 3 White Wagtails, plus good nos of Sand Martins and a few Swallows.

A distant photo of the female Scaup on my website below.

from 8 am -ish] Water rail in brook alongside the football pitches,and in near proximity a male and female Reed Bunting[first timer for me] several chiff chaff ,far side of res' on lane behind, two Common Redpoll [another first!!] numerous Greenfinches [m & f] approx 15 Swallow and same for House Martins, 3 Wren. 2 Thrush near Cheddar steam model boating pond

At least 11 Common Sandpipers (could've been 12!), 2 White Wagtails, 1 Yellow Wagtail & 1 Shoveller pair. In a brief circuit this am at 8.

A little after Chris, there were 21 Common Sand in a compact flock. Also single Greater Black Back Gull.

very reasonable view of the imm little gull from 15.30 onwards this afternoon. Looking out from the Axbridge tower, it was very active on the wing, low over the water's surface just a little way out.

Immature Little Gull still present this morning along with 8 Common Sand, 2 Green Sand in the ditch to the SW of the res, 12 White Wag, Water Rail in the stream by the playing fields, c30 Sand Martin and a few Swallow and House Martin. 1 Whitethroat singing in the copse by the playing field. 2 Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk soaring over the Mendips.

Good numbers of Arctic Tern and a group of Common Sandpipers present early this am. Also got very lucky and had a single Whimbrel land almost right infront of me at far corner of the Res. but it spent only 60 secs on the ground, having a quick drink I suspect, before flying off in the direction of Burnham.

I visited Cheddar Res from 11.00 this morning and saw 2 Barnacle Geese in the middle of a large flock of Herring/LBB Gulls. Plenty of Arctic Terns, many in breeding plumage.

Midday on 15th - female Scaup was diving only 10 foot out from bank near Axbridge tower (strong onshore wind), 2 male & 1 female Shoveler, Water Rail seen from Reservoir (in ditch alongside playing fields), White Wagtails were much more flighty than resident Pied so not sure how many, at least 3 Common Sand, only a couple of Swallows and pair of Ravens flew over from direction of Gorge. Willow Warbler, male Bullfinch & male Blackcap in scrub by ditch and Treecreeper on side of barn there.

Still large numbers of arctic terns on the axbridge tower side this afternoon, lots even resting on the reservoir edge despite passers-by. 4 common sandpipers towards the cheddar side and a single turnstone perched behind cheddar tower.

A single Yellow, 2 x Grey & 6 x Pied Wagtails this evening. 5 Common Sandpipers. Swifts, swallows and Sand martins also present.

And a single Common Tern late on.

early morning walk with the dog @6:30 saw a greenfinch 2 white throat, a black cap and a GS WOODY, Early evening seen a Green woody , several swift ,swallows and chiff chaff and two ringed plover on the south bank

early doors. several pied and two grey wagtails with plenty of fly to feed off and a single common sandpiper, two whitethroat the previous morning with several goldfinch feeding off greenery on the res' bank