Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Red Kite

A Red Kite early afternoon over Westonzoyland, heading towards Bridgwater.

Re: Red Kite

Another, spotted by my wife Suzanne, gliding on stiff wings very high over our garden in Mark, heading south-west, this Sunday lunchtime...

Saw Red Kite over my garden this morning, slightly ragged wings. Under penny wood ELLICOMBE Minehead

Juvenile over Holton heading towards Wincanton this evening.

17-May-12
Red Kite watched from our parked car, actively feeding on a very large, almost bare-earth roadside field immediately north of Shapwick Village between 16:45 and 17:25 hrs, when it then took flight and flew off low to disappear behind the nearby Shapwick Hotel.

Red Kite seen this afternoon near Procktor's Farm, Monkton Heathfield. It came over at low level as it went over the A38 and M5 before heading off SE towards Creech St. Michael. Hopefully it will turn up in Chard (I wish).

Another over Thurlbear Quarrylands (near West Hatch) this morning...

One east over Knighton at 11:30 today was a long awaited addition to the garden list following a number of recent near misses.

26-May-12
Red Kite quartering low over fields north of Catcott Village (just south of the reserve) at about 18:15 hrs, it then flew east over Catcott Heath.

Presumably the same one that I saw at Shapwick on the 17th?

Red Kite spotted gliding over the garden in Shepton Mallet, going north at 10:10 this morning. Lovely views of the bird.

Having read the increasing number of messages re red kite with both envy and frustration, I finally caught up with the species this morning. However like buses, not one but two together at Velvet Bottom, at 9.30am. They gave prolonged views for about 15 minutes then one continued north whilst the other turned and went back south.

Finally joined in the South West Red Kite fest with a single bird over my house in Churchinford at 12.25 today. Came in from the south and continued steadily north northeast. Also a spot fly this morning so hopefully it is one of the local breeders. 2 hobby together yesterday afternoon.

At around 10:00am, today, there were 2 Red Kites at Staple Hill, on The Blackdowns, with one still present at 12:30 flying low over freshly cut grass fields.

One of the Red Kites spotted at Velvet bottom went over Charterhouse at 10am heading east.

One kite still present at Staple Hill at 09:30 this morning, following a tractor turning hay along with two buzzards before heading south.

3 Red Kites together over Holcombe PM 28/5/12.

1 over A358 in Henlade as I drove in to work at 8.00 this morning.

One Red Kite over Motacute at 2.pm today (Tuesday)

Another, or the same bird as seen last week, on the southwest outskirts of Chard this evening.

Another one over my house in Churchinford this morning at 9.05 a.m.

Saw Red Kite riding thermals over Hinton St George ridge at 9am on 26th May. Could be same bird as heading your way

two red kites over Ilton at 2.00 drifting towards Ilminster

One following forage harvester at Long Sutton this morning.

A bit out of the patch today, but 5 Red Kites sited over Chew Valley Lake today between 11am and 4pm. Separate birds all heading N/NE direction very high up mostly.

Red Kite sighting over South Horrington at 5.40 this evening. Did not seem to impress the Buzzards though

One over the garden in Steart this morning - 10th species of raptor for the garden list.

One low over Hinkley Point at 09:20 this morning. Put all the gulls up which chased it away to the east.

One over Ham Wall at about 10pm, drifted off towards Street. Probably the same raggy individual as reported by several other observers in recent weeks.

One over garden in Combwich at 13:45.

One gave great views at 11:50 as it passed low by the track between the car park for the steart point reserve and the river parrett. Headed off to the north when set upon by an oystercatcher

One over Chilton Polden at mid-day heading east

Red Kite over my house in Yeovil midday

1 Red Kite spotted this morning about 10am just outside Wookey Hole.

One on the outskirts of Wells at 7.15 yesterday morning

Red Kite "thermalling" alone over County Ground, Taunton, midday, soon joined by 30 gulls......

single bird over Cheddar today @ 2:45, heading toward Wedmore

Yes, great views of single red kite over county ground, being hassled by gulls as it drifted southwards across the centre of town. Somerset were about 40 without loss at the time and the kite seemed to be attracting more attention than the cricket...

Not quite Somerset, but a single Red Kite flying low over the road through Bishops Caundle this morning at 10:30.