Return to Website

Lurgan Ancestry Forum

If you need information on an ancestor or place add a message and keep returning to check if anyone replies. You can also leave any comments on the Lurgan Ancestry itself.

Lurgan Ancestry Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bleary mcgaffins

I'm trying to join the dots between the various McGaffins in Bleary from the 1800s to the early 1900s. William McGaffin, my great grandfather (b. circa 1871-3) is in an 1896 scottish marriage registration clearly showing his parents as a Thomas McGaffin and an Elizabeth Murphy (both deceased). The 1911 Irish census shows a Thomas and Jane, which clearly can't be the same Thomas. And even if the 'deceased' comment is inaccurate, it still wouldn't add up if William had siblings that were significantly older than him (1911 census Thomas would be too young). The 1911 census for Bleary also shows a James McGaffin (some of whose children went to New York in the early 1900s, which I'm currently looking into) and Nicholas McGaffin. I have to assume that Thomas, James and Nicholas are related in some way. Also, Griffiths valuation shows a Thomas and John McGaffan in Bleary(the spelling seems to be interchangeable). Does anyone have an insight, especially into the Thomas mismatch?