Return to Website

Lurgan Ancestry Forum

If you need information on an ancestor or place add a message and keep returning to check if anyone replies. You can also leave any comments on the Lurgan Ancestry itself.

Lurgan Ancestry Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to trace my Grandparents( MAURICE & LOUISE MCGAFFIN)

I am trying to trace my Grandparents on my Father's side they were Maurice & Louise McGaffin they lived in the lurgan area he may have been a barber, They both died within a short time of each other i think it was of a bad flu at that time, Their children were very young at the time so there isnt much to go on, Hope someone out there can help please

Re: MAURICE & LOUISE MCGAFFIN

Maurice must be born after 1911 or else his parents called him by another name. Can you get to church records for his baptism or marriage? They would list a parent or two.

Also Ireland's birth records are listed in an index for the years up to the 1930's, I think. Armed with a year of birth, you would have to get a birth record to find Maurice's parents. Are you in Ireland where the index is easily available?

I have McGaffins from Bleary, Co Down in my distant line and have a small tree for them that I can send. Yours are probably related at some point. I think they were Gaffikins in some early records. I would check variations of these spellings in your search.

Kat rconard at blarg.net

Hello Kat thanks for replying as far as i know my grandparents were known as Mc Gaffin i think either Louise or Maurice is buried in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Lurgan they werent buried together not sure why

alana

Hello Kat
its been a while but im back on the Hunt for information on my Grandparents Maurice & Louise McGaffin, I have since found out my Grandmother was buried in St John's Parish Moira northern Ireland & Grandfather was Buried in Lurgan not sure which Graveyard still looking both died in 1926 my Dad was about 4 my Aunt who has just passed away was 8 at the time, thats as much i have found out so far
Alana