Return to Website

Lurgan Ancestry Forum

If you need information on an ancestor or place add a message and keep returning to check if anyone replies. You can also leave any comments on the Lurgan Ancestry itself.

Lurgan Ancestry Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for SHEPHERD, WALKER, Carrickblacker, Seagoe

John WALKER's daughter Ann WALKER bc1810 married Robert SHEPHERD bc1805 and my gt grandfather Richard SHEPHERD was born to them 21 Feb 1832, Crimean War, NZ Cross, marr & d NZ. His bro John bc1846/Sarah Ann CLARK also in NZ; sister Mary Ann Elizabeth (Lizzie) bc1849 m John MCGAFFIN 1883 Lurgan - also to NZ. When Richard was presented with NZ Cross for bravery his parents celebrated with bonfires at Drumnacanvy, they were tenants of Col Blacker, Richard had attended Carrickblacker Sunday School. Any other siblings? Details of parents; of John Walker's wife; etc? Willing to share reasonably susbtantial NZ research with any family still in Ireland. Many thanks.

Re: Looking for SHEPHERD, WALKER, Carrickblacker, Seagoe

Not sure if it is of interest, but in 1866, a John Walker was one of the witnesses at the marriage of my husband's great gradparents James Cavanagh to Rachel Campbell. James was from Drumlisnagrilly townland, near Drumnacanvy. I know the Sheppard surname also appeared in Drumlisnagrilly in the same timescale.

Re: Re: Looking for SHEPHERD, WALKER, Carrickblacker, Seagoe

Hi...just stumbled accross your post.
My great grandfather was Walker Shepherd. Born in 1856 in Drumlisnagrilly. His father was Robert Shepherd. The family were tennants on the Carrickblacker estate.
Walker married Eliza Jane Young on Aug 12, 1882. They had 4 children, my grandfather, Thomas Henry, being one.Thomas Henry left Ireland in 1906. He went to Toronto first and then to San Francisco. His brother (Robert) settled in Detroit. By 1918, the entire family had emmigrated. Walker settled in Detroit and died in 1926.
Any info you may have about the family during their time in Drumlisnagrilly would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !