Return to Website

Lurgan Ancestry Forum

If you need information on an ancestor or place add a message and keep returning to check if anyone replies. You can also leave any comments on the Lurgan Ancestry itself.

Lurgan Ancestry Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HUGH HALL COCHRAN.- WATCH & CLOCK MAKER 1800s

Hello Emma,
How delighted I am to have your responce, to HUGH HALL COCHRAN.

Hugh Hall COCHRAN married MARGARET BELSHAW, they had a daughter, yes who married HUGH GRAHAM MCNEIGHT, and her great grandson lives in Wigan, Brian Coupe who I am in regular contact with. I have never physically met him and Carol his wife as yet, but we email regularly.

Hugh COCHRAN (HUGH HALL'S son) was my Great Grandfather who was a watch and clock maker in NEW ROSS Co WEXFORD , Ireland in the mid 1800s. I have a photo of him.

Yes, he had a son Samuel who was my GRANDFATHER.He was also a Watch and Clock maker who did his apprenteship with a John Fegan Jewellers in New Ross. then when he moved to Dublin, (where I was born, too many years ago to remember Ha Ha) Samuel worked for John MORTON'S jewellers for over 40 years, MORTON'S closed about 18 months ago, but I have a letter from them stating my grand dad had worked for them and they gave me the dates.

Hugh Cochran (G.Grandfather) was commissioned to make the clock for 'The THOLSEL' (Town Hall Clock of New Ross) as a watch and clock maker he'd made a clock for himself, he lived in South Street,New Ross, and he realised that at that time very few people had clocks of their own, as there was a gas lamp outside his house, he put his clock in his downstairs front window so people passing could see the time.

HUGH HALL COCHRAN was my GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER. from Northern Ireland.

From what I have found out, HANNAH CHADWICK married a ROBERT TACKABERRY. and had some children, I don't know how many.

Robert TACKABERRY died youngish and HANNAH re-married to HUGH COCHRAN in NEW ROSS, and they had a daughter Margaret who died aged 4 years and is buried in the church grave yard in NEW ROSS.

I didn't know they had a daughter ANN, so it is lovley to find a few new things.

My email address is

disce50@clara.co.uk tel 01903 239 722

Yes I live not far from you in Worthing, West Sussex

I will send you a copy of the photo of the clock if you give me your email address, etc

Who are your GRANDPARENTS and where do they live in Worthing.?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Heather Graham