PENN MOUNTAIN SNOW RIDERS FORUM

Discuss snowmobiling in upstate New York.  

Please limit your posts to issues concerning Snowmobiling and  Penn Mountain Snow Riders.

Personal attacks, foul language and post's containing non-appropriate information will be deleted! 

THIS FORUM IS BEING MODERATED!

Forums
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: Re: registrations

Dean,

Although I never remember you being a member I do remember your offer to help. As mentioned then I am not the trail coordinator. That work is also very time consumming and is delegated to the coordinator. When you become a member there is a spot on the application to indicate what type of volunteer work you can provide. If you checked any of the box's your then assigned a code number for each of the different types of work you indicated. A list can then be printed with all the names and phone numbers of people willing to do trail work or what ever else they volunteered for. I never turned my back on your offer, maybe you didn't respond to the call or maybe you didn't check the box. I do not organize the trail work. If you were an active member instead of a chronic complainer you would know that.
As far as my ideas go, sometimes I don't even agree with myself!
But I have never implemented an idea or belief on my own without the support of the board or membership. As president I do have that authority, but I always felt the board should play an active role when making important decesions. The only exception to that would have been the snowmobile raffle this year. The chairperson who is willing to do all the work can in fact put together the items to raffle at their own discretion according to our existing bylaws. After all the work was inniated the board questioned that authority, and rightly so. I gave the aproval to the raffle coordinator to go ahead with the purchase of the larger sled and trailer. And according to our bylaws that was ok. After the board discussed some dissatisfaction with that decesion I agreed this was something we need to change. But if we were to put limits on what authority a fundraiser coordinator would have then it would have to be consistant. I do believe the membership should vote on what our money is spent on or what chances we are taking in terms of fundraisers. The funny thing is there still has been no mention of a change to the bylaws. It is very easy to ask questions and critique what others are doing. But it takes a little more effort to take the lead on what you are being critical about.
What are you referring to when you say " the club was formed for all to enjoy, not for a select few"?
And what are you referring to when you state " We can not go forward following one persons (or groups)ideas"
Do you really think anything I am referring to is just based on my own convictions? I have been directly involved in the mainstream of the politics for many years which are now becoming the way things work in this industry. I promote what the majority of 200 clubs who belong to NYSSA have decided and pass it along to our members. You can find out where I get my information from by attending the NYSSA forum on April 2nd and 3rd next month in Auburn.
As I mentioned use of fuel tanks were discussed by the membership. It was decided then (probably a meeting you were not at) to not purchase tanks for liability reasons. If we had a building up I would be for a permenant tank at our own facility. The tank we now have has had problems such as gelling, and pilferage. I don't know why you don't persue your idea at a membership meeting. You ask for the floor you make a motion, and the membership decides. Easy as that!
I saw only one other kid on a sled, and his father made sure he had a helmet. Not a good excuse for your kids to not wear a helmet.
Dean why don't you go to www.trailconditions.com, go to trail reports, click on New York and post your feelings on the registration increase there? I'm sure you would get an education. Or at least read the posts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: registrations

Ok, what happened to all the other posts from this message. I was ready to jump in here tonight when I got home (too much to write during work)and there is only one reply left??? Let's see if I can remember.......
Dean, you stated in you original post, that after rejoining the club, your name got deleted from the database. You also stated at the Jan. 27th meeting to me, that you joined the club this year and you hadn't received a thing, no newsletter, no membership packet......nothing. Funny, but your membership didn't get paid until Jan 16th, I have the paypal receipt. I don't know how you think you would have received anything before that. It does take time to process this stuff and you also seem to forget that the members that actually do this work are VOLUNTEERS!!!! We don't get paid to do this, we have families and full time jobs, as I also told you at the Jan 16th meeting. As for the clothing, it's not going out to the businesses. You obviously missed the meeting when everyone was trying to jump down my throat wondering where all last years clothing was, And why it couldn't be accounted for. As I told them then, I just took over the clothing, I told them what was left and tried to find out where, if any, was left. The clothing is on the website, it has been at most, if not all, functions this year and if anyone wants anything, they can contact me. I'm not putting it out in the businesses, it has a way of disappearing. If I'm responsible for it then it's staying right where it is, with me. If you'd like to see this handled differently, then by all means, you can also become the 'Clothing Coordinator'. As for you 'not attending meetings because you didn't know where or when they were', you obviously have a PC with an internet connection. The meeting dates, times, and places have been posted on the website from at least the beginning of the season, back in August. So I'm not really sure how you can justify that statement. As I told you at the Jan. meeting, there's only so much one person can do and until more people become actively involved, mistakes are going to happen. I hope you become more actively involved and bring your ideas/suggestions to the meetings, not just sit back and judge what others have been trying to do. Your post really did make it sound easy to do. Actions speak louder than words!
Sandy

Sandy

Sandy,As I stated when we talked I re-joined in dec. of 2002.I'm in no way blamiing you or anyone about being deleted(mistakes do happen),if I've offended you in anyway on that I'm sorry(and I dont say that to often,ask my wife).But when you go up to someone who is asking for volunteers to help the club saying "what can I do to help"and they blow you off,what can you do?As I remember you said you just took over the post this year and have alot of missing members,I'm sure it will take some time to get everbody back on the list and I'm sure you'll do a great job!As for this PC,I nomally try to avoid it. (you can lose alot of time in it )I also understand it can be very fustratiing when our fund raisiing products develope feet and walk away with no proceeds comiing back,but if its not out there how can we sell it?Not everyone shops on-line and some might buy it because they may have been cold that day and our stuff was there for them to buy.As I stated in those missing forum posts(and thank you for noticiing,even if you don't agree with some or all of my suggestions,I'm really trying to help)I don't have all the answers and I hope that we all can work together even if we don't always agree on the issuses.Thanks again for your efforts and time, some of us really do appreciate most of our volunteers efforts,but we all need to be reminded were not always right all the time(me too).

Re: Sandy

I'm not a member of your club, I don't ride your trails, but I do like to read all of the different forums. I never thought that Dean's post was very negative. Maybe if I actually knew him, I would understand why everyone overreacted to his post. I even read about his "negative" attitude on another forum. The biggest problem with clubs is that if you are not in the "inner circle" you might as well not bother going to the meetings. This may be the reason why only 20% of snowmobilers join clubs. By the way I am a member of a club.

Re: Re: Sandy

Thank you Matt! I think you've nailed it!One of the biggest problems is that we all get to comfortable either in a club,work or other aspects of our lives.(me too)When someone new comes along and stirs things up we all get upset even when that is whats need to get things moviing in the right direction.I think the biggest dissagreement between Rick and my self is that he thinks that increaseing costs on everone will help with the high costs of trail maintainance.I think we should focus on other options for income.I do not believe that increasiing the registrations will out weigh this cost and I agree with Rick that it is high and needs attention.As I understand it NYS is going to raise the rates from $25.00 to $45.00 to help the clubs.This will effectively raise the cost per snowmobile for a club member to about $65.00 per person(single)or $155.00 for a familly with 3 snowmobiles.While some people can afford this, I don't think all of us can.Over all Rick is a hard working advocate for the sport,but needs to be reminded from time to time, we are all not rich.Thanks again for your input(from a fellow club member)and hope you had a good season!

Registration Increase

I think Rick's point is simple. We need to squeeze the people who own machines,but take for granted everything a club does. There are alot of people out there that simply do not/will not join a club! Most other states,ie. Maine when you register put you as a member of MSA(Maine Snowmobile Assoc.). It's all about numbers in a political climate that we have today. Ask any NRA member why he/she still is allowed to own a gun without registraion,hopefully he will say the NRA has kept that right for me. It's all for one cause. So if we have 200,000 registered snowmobilers who are all a club/NYSSA member...The politicians will listen!!! Look what happened last year with the insurance fiasco...we bombarded Pataki,Castro and my least two favorite;Schumer and Hillary with letters and e-mails reminding them of the dollars lost. Guess what? We got insurance!!! So,it all boils down to numbers. I think that is Rick's point. The point of not being rich and unable to afford $155 for 3 sleds is pointless. No one said snowmobiling was cheap. Have you pumped gas into those sleds in one day 3 times? If you're a family riding,it's priceless to be out with your kids snowmobiling. We were on welfare when I was a kid and my mom managed to buy us a '72 Elan to keep us busy during the winter. To raising money the old fasion way? Yes,we need to raise all the money we can. Anything and everything helps,even if we have to sell Kool-Aid this summer...

Re: Re: Sandy

.You are as with Rick right, we do need as much of a income as possible.A lot of people out there have no idea who or what NYSSA is or what they stand for(I had no idea until I joined again).If more people knew what the clubs and oganizations are doing for the sport maybe we might have the numbers we need after all it is about awareness and most poeple don't have a clue(as I said I didn't before).My biggest point is if other non-profit business can survive without chokiing its own, we should be able to aswell.By the way when do you Want to start selling Kool-aid???