USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
50th Anniversary of H-Bomb test

It was 50 years ago today, July 9th,at 2300 hours, that as a 17-year-old sailor I witnessed one of the last U.S. atmospheric nuclear test shots from the decks of the Kitty Hawk while operating out of Hawaii. It is the most frighteningly beautiful sight I have ever seen, turning the night into high noon. I hope never to see a bomb like it go off again. The memory of those deeply intense colors and the expanding shock wave have stayed with me these many years. For those of you who witnessed this shot, Happy 50th anniversary!
Don Sooby ABH-2
V-3 Div. 1962-1966

Re: 50th Anniversary of H-Bomb test

I too witnessed it and was in awe as you were, but I did not remember the date. Thanks for that.

Thanks for reminding me of that event. I too had forgotten the date. I was also on the flight deck that night. It is said that there are one or two things that you will always remember. That was one of them. I remember seeing some strange lines around the blast. Was told later that what I saw was the magnetic flux lines that surround the earth. Don't know it that is true or not, but it sound good to me.

I also remember it well Don, I was just an 19 year old kid