Return to Website

Lurgan Ancestry Forum

If you need information on an ancestor or place add a message and keep returning to check if anyone replies. You can also leave any comments on the Lurgan Ancestry itself.

Lurgan Ancestry Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HALL of Armagh (Corlust in Par of Ballymore+)

Hi
Trying to link up my HALL family. Records I hold show that my HALL ancestor, John Thomas HALL, who emigrated to Australia in 1863, came from the tiny townland of Corlust in in the parish of Ballymore in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. Oral family history reports that John (who emigrated in 1863) was the only son, but had 4 sisters. 7 of his cousins are supposed to have come to NSW in Australia. I believe one of his sisters married a FORD and one was called Jane Eliza.

A lease between a John HALL of Corlust and Rev James HAMILTON, from the late 1700s, has been located. It was taken out in the lives of William, Thomas and Henry HALL, who were most probably John’s children. In 1848, a John HALL was ejected from the land in Corlust. An Ellen HALL appears in the records the following year, as leasing the 4 acres previously held by John HALL and she was there when the Griffiths Valuation was made.

The next mention I have of a HALL in Corlust is the 1901 census a Henry Hall, weaver
He had the following children:
1. James Hall, weaver =1889 Charlotte Thompson dau of Jas THOMPSON, weaver; witness Geo McCart
*2. William Hall weaver, = Margaret Muldrew 1883; witness Henry Hall
3. Robert Hall, weaver - 1882 Mgt McCarthy of Ballyshielmore - dau of Sam McCarthy; witness Wm Hall

The 1911 census has, in Corlust, Wm HALL (Henry's son mentioned above)weaver 52 married to Mgt MULDREW 51
and with the following children: Violet HALL 27
Ellen HALL 19
Bella Lucinda HALL 15
John HALL 10
Wm HALL 5

The names William, Thomas, Henry have appeared in following generations of my HALLs. It appears they were very popular names amongst Armagh HALLs.

There was a HALL family in Lurgan about 14 miles/22 km from Lurgan.

Does anyone have any connections to HALL in Armagh or suggestions?

Sorry this is very long-winded.

Judy in Australia

Re: HALL of Armagh (Corlust in Par of Ballymore+)

Hi Judi,

Sorry, dont have any info on HALL but looking for info on Muldragh. They (John Muldragh) was also evicted from Corlust in 1848. He and his wife Susanna Hare came to Australia in 1850 Just wondering how I could find the record of the eviction??? Thanks

Kind Regards
Ann