USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
If those bulkheads could talk
It's really awesome to read the stuff people that were on this ship have been through, the people, the places, the good times, and the bad. It speaks very well of the ship itself. That old gal has been through hlel, and I hear shes standing by to serve some more, i...
Views: 214   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 4, 2011 9:35am
by John Travers
Memorial Day
Memorial Day will soon be upon us. Below is a poem I drafted for my aunt's funeral this past January. She would have been 105 May 17th. I think it is appropiate for Memorial Day also. "LIFE" "Life is but a stopping pla...
Views: 259   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 27, 2011 8:21am
by John Travers
Come Join us on FACEBOOK!
Dear Shipmates, in our Facebook reunion page we currently have more than 2500 members from all ages, posting, chatting, and reminiscing about their good sea stories onboard Kitty Hawk. Come join us and reunite with your military family; as well as, reconnect with lon...
Views: 456   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 27, 2011 8:11am
by John Travers
remember
Hello my name is Bob Tucker Served in the !st Divison SN if you remember me would like to hear from you. I just joined the ASSOC a few momths back but have not been added to the roster yet. Email rtucker453@yahoo.com live in Yelm WA 360-894-0971
Views: 264   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2011 6:43pm
by noel r. mckee
OLD TIMERS, '66-'68
JUST FOUND THIS SITE WHILE UPDATEING MY DD214. I SERVED ABOARD THE HAWK FROM ? SUMMER 1966 THRU OCT. 1968. WORKED AS AN SK,(E-3) BUT MOST OF MY BOOT BUDDIES WHO WERE SHORE BASED WITH ME IN, ATSUGI, JAPAN. THEN TO THE HAWK,WENT BM. ANYONE OUT THERE ? LONG TIME AGO,...
Views: 414   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2011 5:14pm
by Phil Troskey
USS Kitty Hawk's new home
Hello, I'm Mike Durham . I served in Kitty Hawk from 05/81 to 10/84. AIMD IM3 Div Calibration Lab. I was a TDC ( Chief Tradevman)at the time. I am now retired from the Navy and live in Bremerton,Wa. I work just outside the Charleston Gate at PSNS and can now l...
Views: 713   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 21, 2011 4:53pm
by Phil Troskey
Visiting Bremerton & Kitty Hawk
My wife and I plan to be in Bremerton, WA in late September or early October and would like to see the Kitty Hawk. Does anyone know if one can get anywhere near it or even tour it yet? Thanks for any information you can offer.
Views: 554   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 21, 2011 11:22am
by Phil Troskey
we have a facebook page uss kitty hawk cva63 G div sailors
this is for just G div but we could make it for more sailors. Looking for ship mates.. We have 30 on a list to email to u..
Views: 204   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 21, 2011 10:00am
by Phil Troskey
golfing
Anyone remember golfing on Grande Island and the monkees stealing the golf balls? How about having to use the rope to pull you up to hole seven or eight. Remember the snorkeling off of Grande? The most beautiful coral fields I have ever seen. They sting too....
Views: 282   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 20, 2011 12:16pm
by Jim Billinger
memory lane
does any you old salts out there remember when Steven Stills from Crosby,Stills, Nash and young was in Hong Kong after finishing a tour of the US and he had with him two british women with him? He was at the bar in the playboy club. I believe it was the 72 cruise,...
Views: 210   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2011 7:24pm
by jerseyjack
nostalgia
My father served on the Kitty Hawk from 73-78 as an Aviation Huydraulicsman; I serve in the Navy today and was just wondering if anyone on here ever served w/ my father and/or has the cuise books from that time. I am trying to put together a shadow box for him w/ pi...
Views: 308   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 15, 2011 4:03pm
by Richard N Cooley
Kitty Hawk in North Carolina.
Is there anyone out there that can update us on the status of the Hawk and efforts to put the Hawk in NC?
Views: 361   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 15, 2011 9:29am
by jerseyjack
initiation stories
Lets hear some good initiation stories. I thought I was too smart to get fooled. I'm not going after a bucket of steam, or an overhead buffer, or relative bearing grease. No sir! They put me on "Mail Bouy Watch". I sat outside under the catwalk forwa...
Views: 415   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 12, 2011 8:41am
by Richard N Cooley
Checking In!
Hello Shipmates! Anyone out there remember me?
Views: 490   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 5, 2011 8:02pm
by jerseyjack
Mothers Day
Just a little something for Mothers Day. Thought it could perhaps be put on the Message Board. Some of these include our fathers too. 25 REASONS I MISS MY MOTHER 1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE . 'If you're going...
Views: 200   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2011 5:41pm
by James Melka
Bin Laden
It is a great day to be a Navy Vet after seeing what the Navy Seals did in Pakistan.
Views: 284   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 5, 2011 1:03pm
by Ron Marks
Va-37 shipmates
I just found this site this evening, very cool. I was wondering if there is any of the VA-37 squadron folks on the site. Can't remember the exact year. Around 69 or 70. (long time ago)We started out with the A7A. Not sure what they're flying now. Anyway, if anyone is...
Views: 180   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 3, 2011 6:45pm
by Jerry Dillard
May 1st Prayer
May 1st Prayer...Now I lay me down to sleep...one less terrorist this world does keep...with all my heart I give my thanks...to those in uniform regardless of ranks...you serve our country and serve it well...with humble hearts your stories tell...so as I rest my we...
Views: 175   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2011 11:01am
by James Melka
olongapoe,phillipines
Brothers, I recently was in North Carolina on vacation. Outerbanks to be precise, and was sitting one day playing solitaire and listening to Elton John singing "Sweet Painted Lady". As I sat there listening to the lyrics of this song, in my minds eye I saw a v...
Views: 399   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 1, 2011 11:49am
by John Travers
Anniversary
Fifty years ago yesterday I was mess cooking. How about the rest of you guys? Happy anniversary to all the Plankowners.
Views: 219   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 30, 2011 2:01pm
by Charles Robson, ...
Hawk's Anniversary
Hello Everyone !!! Hope 'y all had a swell Easter. As you know today marks the 50th Anniversary of the Commissioning, and I just wanted you to know that there was a commemorative postmark issued in Philly to mark this event. If you desire to get a copy of it, send a...
Views: 187   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 29, 2011 8:21pm
by Ron Reeves
OE Div
Anyone out there from OE Division 1965-66. The Hawk was the best! Thanks
Views: 264   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 25, 2011 3:56pm
by Jan Heckman
elevators
anyone knowing about or who was killed in an accident where the large steel elevator door came down and killed shipmate during transportion of bombs to flight deck 1966-67
Views: 266   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 25, 2011 3:17pm
by Jan Heckman
Website
The new website looks great, however I hope the message board will change. The old message area appeared better to me. Thanks.
Views: 337   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 24, 2011 8:12pm
by Jim Billinger
Easter
Happy Easter to all my Kitty Hawk brothers and sisters.
Views: 212   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2011 5:27am
by Charles Robson, ...
Branson 2011 Reunion
All of the reunion information is sent out to our members in the newsletters. If you know someone that is not a member and would like to attend the reunion in Branson Mo. in Aug 2011. Have them contact me and I will be happy to send them the reunion information. Her...
Views: 650   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 23, 2011 3:32pm
by Carl Muller
Looking for Rick Sarrano!!!
I am looking for Rick Sarrano. We worked together in V-1 Crash and Salvage from 1993-1998 together. We were at the same airfield, NAS Whiting Field from 1998-2001. I cant find him on facebook or anywhere. We were like brothers, especially fishing addicts, but I watch...
Views: 172   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 21, 2011 4:46pm
by Eugene "BULL" Wi...
Mombasa, Kenya Mar '74
One of my most vidid memories of Navy Life was the ride back to the ship on the last night of Liberty. The ship was too big and the harbor too small for the ship to pull into port, so we anchored off the coast. The crew was too numerous to have a regular liberty...
Views: 288   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 17, 2011 3:36pm
by Jim Clausen, P-3...
WesPac 72 Looking for shipmates P1Div 1MMR
Looking for my fellow snipe brothers from 1Main & 4Main. MMs & BTs ruled.
Views: 483   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 16, 2011 2:26pm
by Adolph Schade
71-72
I was in P-1 Div.#4MMR.I knew a lot of guys from #1mmr since we all bunked together."Rudy"Gordon Rudolph was my 1st class,then a guy whos last name was Naylor.I was good friends w/Jerry Sparkman,Charlie Ream,Ricky Parcells,Steve Frank,and there was one from #1mmr nam...
Views: 316   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 16, 2011 2:16pm
by Adolph Schade
j
Joe
PLAT footage
I'm looking for a video copy of an wheels up A-3 Skywarrior barricade trap that occured during Hawks 70-71 cruise. This barricade happened at night. I'm also after other mishap films to add to my private collection.
Views: 220   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 15, 2011 11:23pm
by Joe
Better late than never
There was a posting last Aug 21st by Jersey Jack about how some of us all, apparently, have had the feeling we are not veterans of war because we didn't have bullets whizzing by our heads. I too had to sort that out. I have to tell you all what a Viet Nam war...
Views: 363   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 3, 2011 12:30pm
by Jersey Jack
Be carefull what you ask for
I think it was 1974. We were "on station", don't remember where, when our office was notified there was a sub with radio problems. They needed a tech to fix their radio. It was exactly the type my small group worked on, UHF. We all wanted to go for a sub ride. Th...
Views: 277   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 1, 2011 9:55am
by Jim Kuhn
Looking for Robert Whalley!
Hi. Looking for an old friend- Robert P. Whalley. Anybody know where he's at- was at University of Northern Reno last I knew. Best, "Zmorgaine" Zmorgaine@Gmail.com; Zmorgaine@Yahoo.com
Views: 200   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2011 12:37pm
by Zmorgaine
New Sterile Web Site
YUK! This looks like a big boring BLACK & WHITE spreadsheet! I prefer the old look.
Views: 276   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 27, 2011 2:38pm
by Richard N Cooley
Shipmates
Desperatly looking for friends or shipmates for my husband Thomas Weber served on the Kittyhawk 1965 through 1968. He was in the Air Department V-1 Division. Just like everyone else on the ship trying to get information that Tom set foot in Vietnam.-He passed away Ju...
Views: 248   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 25, 2011 7:48am
by Katherine Weber
Disappearing Posts
A few days ago there were several posts dealing with the upcoming reunion and how to go about getting info. The prez responded (and I paraphrase here because the post was deleted) that if you want reunion info, join the Assoc. There was a post in response to the Prez...
Views: 233   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 22, 2011 2:59pm
by Richard Schuman-...
agent orange
i have a couple questions that may be no brainers but have to ask first of all if they now they established that nucler partilies have traveled approx 3000 miles across the the pacific from japan to calif coast why is it not posssible for agent orange to travel 20 to...
Views: 378   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 18, 2011 2:35pm
by J. A. Traver
Verification of History of the Kitty
I'm looking for any information about a man named Charles W Burns (Bill)(Mr Clean) or Virgil Aux, who I've been told served on the Kitty somewhere between 69-71 they both supposely were pilots. Mr Burns is said to have been shot down from his A6 by a SAM in Vietnam h...
Views: 329   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 17, 2011 8:07pm
by Angela McCulloch
Humanitarian Ship
I'd like to see a couple of carriers set up for humanitarian needs. One on the east coast and one on the west. Staff them with helos and supply planes, hospital beds, food supplies and shelters. They could respond quickly to earthquake and huricane disasters. The...
Views: 396   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 17, 2011 7:02pm
by John Travers
Kitty Hawk Awards
Can anyone please provide me with a complete list of awards that Kitty Hawk has been given during its lifetime? Need award + dates
Views: 615   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 17, 2011 9:02am
by J. A. Traver
2006-2007 weekly Kitty hawk newspaper.
Does anybody recall the name of weekly newspaper published aboard the USS Kitty-Hawk? It contained an article called "The Sailor of the week" (Or month). The Sailor that was awarded this honor got to have lunch with the XO (Or was the CMCPO?) and recieved a "Captain'...
Views: 287   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 12, 2011 8:37am
by Carl Muller
information
I am a Veteran's Service Officer in South Dakota. A Kitty Hawk veteran needs information on receiving bodies and body parts on board ship subsequent to the events of 9/11. Can anyone fill me in on this and how many were stretcher bearers? Your information may help a...
Views: 662   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 4, 2011 10:54pm
by Richard N Cooley
Question
Does anyone know why the Hawk was chosen to remain on ready reserve instead of the Ranger, Independence, or Constellation, which are tied up alongside her in Bremerton? Having served on her from 1963 to 1965, I'm glad, but the Constellation is newer (and they've alre...
Views: 298   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 4, 2011 9:32pm
by Rick Baker
Plankowner shipmate
I read in the latest American Legion magazine about an Ann Langston who was having problems with the VA. Her husband was Bruce (nmn) Langston. We had a Bruce Langston IC3 (plankowner) who rode to San Francisco from Philly. If anyone can verify that this is the same...
Views: 245   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 21, 2011 7:35am
by Marvin L. Hill ...
kennedy chair
yes i remember your father he was in charge of the sail locker,there was about 10 pepole involved in making that.he also made the strapes that they beat us with when we crossed the equator.do you have any of his crusie books?we were in the 5th division
Views: 192   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2011 10:35pm
by jw braun
New Years Eve 1961
I remember my first New Years while stationed on the Kitty Hawk. The KH was in the San Fran shipyards and me and two other good ole boys went to downtown San Fran and reveled with thousands of people. Being from a town of about 500 (Flagler Beach, Fl) I was amazed at...
Views: 300   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 12, 2011 10:04pm
by Cheryl Johnson
President Kennedy's rocking chair
I have a picture of President Kennedy being presented the plague embroided by my father in 1963 with my father aboard the Kitty Hawk. Does anyone have any other pictures of this taking place?
Views: 221   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2011 10:00pm
by Cheryl Johnson
Double deck Pinochle
Hello Gents, while i was stationed on the Hawk i must have played 10000 hands of pinochle,, for fun,, and sometimes for a buck or two,, after i got out,, never played again, i want to say,, well i never had the time,, but i think i just never played again, a lot of g...
Views: 288   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 11, 2011 6:35pm
by Jim Billinger
Advertisement
Shipmates: The ads have been removeed. What happened, was I forgot to renew the removing tool. We are trying to do our best. We do not have to many volunteers to help out. Then when we have a little problem we get a lot of complaints. I do not look at the web page e...
Views: 262   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 11, 2011 2:29pm
by Carl Muller
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet