Return to Website

Collectible Treasures Antique and Collectibles Web Forum

Welcome to Collectible Treasures Antique and Collectibles Web Forum. Here you can post messages or ask questions on the subject of the collecting of antiques and collectibles. Make new contacts with others who enjoy the art of collecting. Find information you are seeking about your antique or collectible. This is a newly added addition to Collectible Treasures and we hope you enjoy it!

Collectible Treasures Antique and Collectibles Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i need help identifying my monkey figurine

Hi
I found this gorgeous part glazed pottery figurine of a monkey at a car boot this week and loved him on site despite knowing nothing about him.
Ive searched through the web as best I can but have still come up with zero information on him and wondered whether any of you out there may be able to help me with my search.
I have pics of him that I can send by email,(or post on this site if only I knew how!)He looks a bit like the grinch in his face and hairy body, I hope that doesn't insult him as there is definitely something about him.

So here goes with a description.

Height : 9 1/2 inches
Width : 6 inches at widest ,across shoulders
Pose :
He is sat on a tree stump, holding in his right hand(when viewed from front)a bunch of ??? Coconuts or fruits, three in all.
He is crouched over and has raised his left hand(when viewed from front) to his face.
Atop his head seems to be a small bird????On a base...very Egyptian hieroglyph in style.
(Wild eh?)
His body is a pale tan in colour and hairy, if you see what I mean.
He has fingernail detailing on his hands
You can see the line of his spine down his back.
He is smiling showing white teeth and has white eyes with black pupils. The face is very finely detailed showing nostrils, muzzle and brow around his eyes,
He has two small raised ears
The coconuts/fruits are green with a plum colour at the tips and a plum vine that is wrapped round his wrist.
The bird? Is also green with a plum coloured beak?
The tree stump is arched, so providing two points of contact for the base and painted in tones of brown.
The monkey, nuts and bird are glazed whilst the tree stump is not.
The figure is hollow and there are no marks that I can see.