betty's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

betty's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mud + Underweight

I am seeking input, advice, and whatever POSITIVE information can be provided, and if you think I should give it up then please be kind in saying so.

I live on a slopped piece of property that is wooded (not heavily) and the previous owner had set up a horse area.

Last summer my husband finally agreed to allow me to get a horse and keep it on the property. We ended up with two horses and when the original horse owner saw where we were going to place the horses she was very positive and encouraging.

Back in the summer the ground was smooth though slopped for the front portion and the rear portion was slopped but then leveled out for the majority.

We fenced in about 700 - 1000sf. I wish I could remember exactly how much space.

There was tons of grass for the horses too.

Then winter came and so did the rains. Spring came and so are the rains. The horses are sliding and slurping their way to their feed, the grass is gone, and the seek shelter in the few trees instead of in the built structure.

There are places on the property that we have looked at moving the horses too but we would need to clear out the brambles and sod/seed but it is a little flatter. We can keep them where they are and fill with a layering of gravel, sand and dirt but that area will always be slopped. We can make the existing area a little bigger too.

Any input on how to help the horses would be great. Obviously we want something that is going to be not too costly and that we can do quickly.

The other problem is the horses are 10-15% under their desired body weight. They look the same to me as when I purchased the horses, but I never did do a vet check at the beginning. The vet that checked the horses said that there is nothing I can do to get their weight back up unless they have 24/7 tons of pasture to eat and live in.

Help!

Thanks.

city , state Battle Ground, WA

Re: Mud + Underweight

Hey 2 words.. please move! that is totally unsafe footing for a horse they could fall and break a leg or cast in a corner or get stuck and die trying to get out. it is not good to not have a pasture fo the horse if you do not have a pasture for he or she they will not get the nutrients they need... find a nice home were it is slitly hilly with lots of high grass and a riding area(unless your not into riding) there are plenty of grains that could get the horse back uptp the wat he or she is supposed to be at.. my horse latley had bin have some underwait problems but all i had to do was give her extra grain and now she looks like she is in a halter show class! so if that is land that is marshy and constantly wet it is NOT good for the horses either move or sell them because thats like you trying to live on wet cement barefoot it is not fun and its slippery... also build them a leanto... good luck!

city , state Zimmerman,Minnesota